Uncontrolled stress can cause painful migraine headaches and sever muscle tension. Stress is so powerful that it can actually be measured through a process called biofeedback. This process measures bodily function such as sweat production, heart rate, and skin temperature and shows proof that when a person is stressed the body reacts physically. For better health stress reduction is necessary.
Through simple relaxation techniques stress can be relieved and managed with success through easy do it you methods that benefit the mind and body. Here are six easy relaxation techniques that you can do at home, the office and travel.
- Exercise- Many of us crinkle our nose at exercise but all exercise is beneficial to the body. Running, swimming, yoga and tai chi are all forms of exercise that remove tension from the body and allow the mind to free itself from stress inducing thoughts. Choose a physical activity that you enjoy and perform it for 30 minutes at least three days per week and you will begin to sleep better (natural insomnia cure) and feel better in a short amount of time. You decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease, obesity and diabetes in one easy to do step.
- Meditation- When you have a moment to yourself anywhere from the bathroom to the elevator, close your eyes and focus on your breath. By concentrating on the slow inhale and exhale you are literally breathing in rejuvenation and exhaling negativity. Your pulse slows, your mind clears and you will relieve tension. Its easy, it can be performed anywhere and its free!
- Music- Music affects us emotionally. By listening to classical, new age or psychedelic music you can find yourself relaxing without even knowing it. Not only music but also soothing sounds such as the ocean or crickets can also soothe a busy mind and induce stress relief.
- Massage- Stress creates tension in the neck and shoulders. As muscles are connected when one muscle becomes overly tense it tugs on the attached muscle and can create back pain, leg pain and so on. Headaches and fatigue are often experienced due to stress. A deep tissue massage can literally rub out muscle tension and create a greater sense of pain free peace.
- Aromatherapy- Such as music, scents can ease stress without us being conscious of it. Scents including lavender, chamomile, vanilla and rose can create a soothing effect. You can use scented candles, potpourri or scented oils to infuse the air with relaxing smells.
- A Warm Bath- It works and it’s as simple as it gets. Fill your tub with warm water, bubbles and or bath salts and ease tension. The warmth allows muscles to let go of tension and by adding a relaxing fragrance to the water or room creates a dual assault on stress.
Stress takes a toll on us if we allow it to. It’s a natural response to both the physical and emotional threats that we face each day. A healthy life is balanced life. Stress happens but you don’t have to let it harm your health. By following the simple tips above you can breathe easier, sleep better and enjoy a more pleasant life through relaxation techniques.