Composition of Toners
- Facial toners come in many different brands and are used on the skin after washing the face. Toners are made with ingredients such as salicylic acid, witch hazel, and benzoyl peroxide and often contain no harsh chemicals or alcohol. However, some manufacturers of beauty products make toners with organic ingredients.
Composition of Astringents
- Astringents basically contain the same ingredients as toners, but unlike toners, astringents are either chemical-based or alcohol-based and sometimes come in medicated formulations. They come in many different brands as well, but they don't need to be used after washing the face since they work by removing oil and dirt. Astringents made with organic ingredients are also available.
Toner Skin Type Suitability
- Toners are more suitable for use on dry or sensitive skin because they don't contain harsh chemicals or alcohol that can dry or irritate the skin. The harsh ingredients in facial toners can actually leave the skin feeling drier and even itchy, which can lead you to touching and scratching your face, which could lead to further skin problems.
Astringent Skin Type Suitability
- Astringents are more suitable for use on oily skin or combination dry and oily skin. Since the alcohol in astringents helps to remove excess oil and dirt on the skin, it aids in giving the skin a matte appearance. Using a facial toner, however, may leave the skin with an oily appearance.
Benefits of Using Toners
- Toners are defined by Dictionary.com as "a cosmetic preparation, usually a liquid, used to restore firmness to the skin." They are primarily used to clarify the skin, keep the skin hydrated and moisturized, refresh tired complexions, reduce the appearance of fine lines, improve skin tone, and restore the skin's natural pH balance.
Benefits of Using Astringents
- Astringents are defined by Dictionary.com as "a cosmetic that cleans the skin and constricts the pores." Astringents can tighten the skin's pores and help reduce acne by controlling oils and removing impurities that usually lead to blemishes and breakouts. Additionally, astringents work by removing dead skin cells, dirt and makeup.